Tuesday, November 19, 2013

overheard

Two middle-aged friends walking down the crowded sidewalk in front of me:

"my head is spinning"
"that's because you have crystals in your ear"
"but my head is always spinning"
"once you get sick you have crystals in your ear; they keep spinning"
"my brain doesn't know where I am"
"there's an EMT who can flush out the crystals, not many doctors specialize in it"
"he can't hurt me?"
"you have to trust me on this one"
"I can't eat anything"
"I couldn't walk without my hand against the wall when I had crystals"
"I can't eat kale any more"
"I know it's not convenient but you have to see him"

Then a stranger, abreast of me and hearing all this, calls out:

"Jesus! Don't listen to her!"

Good.  The voice of a modern day Samaritan.

2 comments:

Mirabai Knight said...

Wow. That's... Something.

(There are, of course, crystals in your ear, and when they malfunction they can cause dizziness, but no amount of flushing is gonna make 'em go anywhere...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vestibular_system#Otolithic_organ)

Derek Alexander said...

Neat! I hadn't realized there are crystals in the ear, let alone to do with balance. That makes the whole overheard more interesting: crank theories tend to start with something at least vaguely true, then branch off.