This morning's cab ride featured a talkative cab driver.
w-W-where are you going?
55th and Third
w-What?
55th and Third
Ok. Fifty-fifth. ... I sure am glad you got in this cab with me.
Hmm?
Oh yeah, you're the first guy I've picked up in 6 days. I haven't w-worked in 6 days. Have you?
Yes.
For partying. I partied. Its good to talk to someone, it's good.
...
You understand. They don't understand. They put me on 6 days' leave.
I was partying, bourbon and meaningless sex. Do you drink?
Yes.
Are you married?
Yes.
My girl is the worst girl. We're not married. I wanted to marry her but I wasn't sure.
You have to be sure.
It's good at first they say. My parents died last year - I'm fifty-five and alone.
I'm sorry.
If you have kids too late you're old when they're eleven.
...
It sure is good you're in this cab. I've been alone for six days. Now that my parents are gone. They lived with me. You gotta live, this is all there is. That's what I'm saying.
We must each die.
Yes, yes. y-You know that Jesus Christ, Jesus married a bad woman - did you hear that?
He associated with them.
Yes.
One washed his feet with her hair, in tears and perfume.
Yes. That's partying.
It's hard for you to be alone.
I don't have any kids.
---
We arrive at work. I unbuckle. First time I've worn a seat belt in a New York cab since I don't know when.
---
Thank you very much.
Thank you. Have a good morning.
Monday, March 5, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment