Tuesday, May 19, 2015

what is man, though

I was asking myself on the way home from work one of those great Scriptural questions: What is wisdom?  And to my surprise, I find the question answerable, at least in the definitional way of answering.

Wisdom - by which I mean the kind of wisdom that is the subject of the wisdom literature - is the way of careful attentiveness that does not impede productivity.

How to get wise; and if one can; and how to transmit wisdom; and wisdom's domain and limits: these are all questions that such a definition does not address.  But I'm reasonably sure that most people who get wise do so by practicing and surrounding themselves with others who do and by controlling impulses. And that the answer to how wisdom is transmitted is inside that answer of the getting: wisdom is transmitted much as other kinds of strength are transmitted, and to similar extent. That the domain and limits of wisdom are in form those of other forms of strength as well. 

I can say that if the God of the Bible is as portrayed, that Godliness would be the cornerstone of such wisdom. And if not, then not. 

1 comment:

didaskalos said...

Really interesting, Derek; much to agree with; the "getability" seems an antidote to the problem of futility; another thought: if wisdom might have gotten us in to this mess, the right kind of wisdom can get us out.