I've no basis for thinking life and the universe to be meaningless. And my feelings and instincts run contrary: life and the world feel meaningful.
But I do sometimes wonder whether the breathing space for precisely this feeling of meaningfulness is a result of actual meaninglessness. I wonder this because the range of possible and felt meanings is so very broad and fluid, both within myself and - much more - among people generally.
That is, if the world or life or both had a particular meaning, one supposes that meaning would constrict the range of felt meanings - since they would conflict. The image I have in mind is that of a grain of salt dropped into a super-saturated liquid, that instantly crystallizes - solidifies: even a little bit of real meaning would seize the free-wheeling feelings of meaning.
Maybe - maybe not. People can evade truths will little difficulty, after all.
The religious idea that a true God must hold back to allow us freedom is basically sound and capable of a great deal of sophistication in practice and consideration. And that's why the problem of evil doesn't do fatal damage to religion: the problem is exactly that - a problem, a serious one - but it isn't a contradiction or absurdity.